Why we value the power of reading
- Reading is closely linked to academic success. Research shows students who read for pleasure have 26% more vocabulary and achieve better outcomes in all subjects, including 10% improvement in Maths.
- Reading helps to increase empathy. Through reading, you learn how characters think and feel which helps you in real life relationships.
- Reading helps you develop your confidence and improves self-esteem. Studies reveal that reading frequently has a positive impact on mental health.
- Reading fosters understanding of complex issues. Life is sometimes difficult and sad for people here and around the world. The safe world of a book helps you understand situations when things are confusing, terrifying, distressing, complicated or challenging.
- Reading is enjoyable. When you feel confident about your reading, getting stuck in a book eases daily anxieties. It takes you away to other places, people, and times. It makes you laugh, and cry and it helps you to relax.