Why we value the power of reading
- Reading is closely linked to academic success. Research shows students who read for pleasure have 26% more vocabulary and achieve better outcomes in all subjects, including 10% improvement in Maths.
- Reading helps to increase empathy. Through reading, you learn how characters think and feel which helps you in real life relationships.
- Reading helps you develop your confidence and improves self-esteem. Studies reveal that reading frequently has a positive impact on mental health.
- Reading fosters understanding of complex issues. Life is sometimes difficult and sad for people here and around the world. The safe world of a book helps you understand situations when things are confusing, terrifying, distressing, complicated or challenging.
- Reading is enjoyable. When you feel confident about your reading, getting stuck in a book eases daily anxieties. It takes you away to other places, people, and times. It makes you laugh, and cry and it helps you to relax.
Get in touch
Please email Ms Watkins (JWatkins@charternorthdulwich.org.uk) for any library queries.